WOW.
Today I encountered an enormous web of LOVE when I visited G-Star.
I am floored and stupefied- I can almost not even produce words to describe the experience.
I had no idea just how much I missed these amazing people until I returned. For all its admitted faults, G-Star is a BLESSED space full of art and potential and people who genuinely care.
Unfortunately, I did not get to spend much time with many teachers- I didn't get to school this morning until the opening bell (on time! no late pass! :), though I had considered coming to the staff meeting in the early morning... I just couldn't make it happen. I did however get to see some of the changes- Ms Rasha's mural, for example (YAYAYAY!) and Mr. Alkobey's comforting configuration in my old classroom (sigh). And yet, so much is still the same- bustle of activity, not enough space in the hallway, smiles and laughter on the way to class. Mr. Andrepont is doing such an outstanding job as Dean of Students- as if the position were tailor-made for him. I would love to just spend some time talking to my former colleagues, and I kind of felt cheated that I didn't get the 'full' experience of communing with them.
The students are really growing up. Goodness, how I've missed these geniuses!
I ache to think how much fun we all could have had if I had stayed at the star this year. But it heartens me to know that their spirits are still so VITAL and LIVE- and my adventure has taught me a thing or two about timing, and coming/going, so I have faith that we meet who we need to when we need to.
And the BIG project lurches forward toward fruition. Some of my former students who are staying in PBC next year are interested in working together to make this space happen. AND THIS EXCITES AND MOTIVATES ME MORE THAN ANY MONEY EVER COULD.
We can really make it happen! A space for young people to hang out and feel at home and MAKE COOL STUFF! And maybe discover things they are passionate about! And maybe feel safe enough to grow wild and strong! And maybe even redefine their own educational boundaries and potential!
Adequate Revelation / Dia De Los Muertos
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment