First, check out: www.dothisallday.org
It is a project undertaken by two awesome young people- they visited 25 alternative learning spaces and made an awesome audio documentary of their experiences and explorations.
Then, visit www.educationrevolution.org, go to the bookstore and consider buying something.
I rarely advocate consumption for consumption's sake. But I REALLY want more people aware of some of the really beautiful possibilities and realities in the educational universe.
It's not just about 'choice' programs, charter schools and vouchers, NCLB, drop out prevention.
It's about reclaiming public places. It's about contextualizing and protecting free access to information. It's about changing public mindset on a MASS SCALE- from business as usual to unusual businesses. It's about engendering happiness and autonomy in ongoing generations, while ensuring the stability of a planet on which to plant and grow their brilliance. It's about embracing and protecting pluralism and diversity.
_____________________________________________________
So, yes I had a great time at the Alternative Education Resource Education Conference.
I must say, the amount of polite disagreement/argument was surprising. Even amid a movement with pretty clear common political sensibilities, there are a lot of different, strong opinions regarding the purpose of education and the best methodology for achieving that purpose. Some of the different conceptual strands that tied this conference together for me were-
• the problem of access and financial stability/management of free/democratic schools
• the pitfalls and opportunities of seeking public funding
• new solutions for national/regional free school associations for advocacy and collaboration
• the role of schools within intentional communities
• students roles in the alt. ed. movement
• arts integration as a radical catalyst
• racism in the alt. ed. movement
• international approaches and opportunities
• the distancing of other alt movements from ed (ie: medicine, agriculture, transportation, etc)
• mainstream approaches
I must say, however, I was disappointed every moment I had to choose between playing with the kids and going to a workshop/discussion. There wasn't really enough 'free' time- I had to steal myself away and wander through Troy a couple of times to stay human. Also, the conference was REALLY removed from the community in Troy- there were three cool Troy events that occurred during this past week that ALL the families would have relished, and an AWESOME community arts space 2 blocks away that could have hosted some REALLY HANDS ON activities.
While wandering through Troy, I found this very cool organization: The Center for Land Use Interpretation: www.clui.org
Just check it out and go WOW.
For AERO pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/758070@N25/
Many thanks to all the folks I chatted with, listened to, learned from , played with; the trailblazers, the believers, the workers, the teachers, the students.
And a special thanks to Isaac, Ana, Elizabeth, Jerry. There is SO MUCH work that goes into making a place for the vibe to occur.
I'd also like to particularly thank all the schools who have expressed a slight or great welcome to me on my own adventure. I look forward to coming to your community and lending two hands attached to a brain.
Then, the post-conference start a school workshop was an INCREDIBLE experience, and well worth it. Thanks Jerry, Ron, Sally, Chris and all the participants for wading collectively through the swampy expanse of our realities and redirecting our paths.
And finally, a reminder: this message from an anonymous student was found scratched on one of the desks we used for the workshops. We all have a role to play...
Adequate Revelation / Dia De Los Muertos
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment